Common Activities that Require a Permit

Some of the activities which commonly require a permit or Order of Conditions from the Conservation Commission are:

  • Construction of a roadway or driveway
  • Construction of a building, commercial or residential
  • Construction of accessory buildings such as garages, stables, barns
  • Installation of pools, in-ground or above-ground
  • Paving of driveways
  • Additions to buildings
  • Grading or excavation, landscaping
  • Vegetation and tree removal, clearing of trees and brush
  • Repairs to septic systems (All septic systems for new houses must be out of the buffer zone or riverfront area.)
  • Stormwater discharges
  • Alteration of woodland for crop propagation

Other activities may require a permit as well. Please contact the Commission or its agent to determine if your activity requires a permit.